Identità Malta, formerly known as Identity Malta, has introduced a new initiative, the Specialist Employee Initiative, aimed at expediting the application process for skilled foreign workers.
The initiative promises to process applications within fifteen (15) working days and is an extension of the existing Key Employee Initiative, which fast-tracks applications for highly skilled employees in a managerial or highly technical role within five (5) working days.
To qualify for the Specialist Employee Initiative, the following criteria must be met:
- Minimum gross basic salary of €25,000;
- The position being offered in Malta is of a professional or technical level; and
- The employee holds, as a minimum, Malta Qualifications Framework (hereinafter referred to as “MQF”) Level 6, or equivalent, qualifications directly related to the job being applied for. In case an applicant holds an MQF level lower than level 6, proof of a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a position directly related to the one being offered in Malta is required.
In relation to the Key Employee Initiative, the following criteria must be met:
- Minimum gross basic salary of €35,000 (previously, this was at a minimum of €30,000);
- The position offered in Malta is a managerial or highly technical role; and
- Duly certified and recognised qualifications of the applicant by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre.
All applications for third country nationals are to be submitted by the employer on behalf of the employee on Identità Malta’s online portal.