Claude Micallef-Grimaud is a Partner at Mamo TCV Advocates. Claude heads the firm’s Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT) department and also works in the firm’s Intellectual Property (IP) department. He first joined the firm, as an associate, in 2008. Claude acts as lead counsel in all matters relating to privacy law and data protection and represents numerous international (and local) entities in such matters. One particular area of specialisation relates to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in respect of which he is widely considered as one of the leading practitioners in the field.
Claude regularly advises and acts as counsel in the field of Information Technology law and Cybersecurity. This includes assistance with contract drafting and negotiation as well as IT licensing arrangements. Claude also regularly advises and acts as counsel for international and local clients in all intellectual property matters (particularly Copyright cases, Anti-Counterfeiting actions and Trademark issues) including litigation, contract negotiation and drafting, registration procedures and licensing/franchising matters.
Claude also regularly assists various entities in the media sector including prominent artists, performers, film/theatre/music producers and directors as well as investors in the media and entertainment industry and also acts as production lawyer in local and foreign television and cinematic productions.
Claude’s other specialist areas include all matters relating to EU law, Contract law and Tort law the latter being a subject he also lectures, part-time, at the University of Malta. Claude also acts as counsel for clients in general civil and commercial matters.
Claude has published several academic papers both locally as well as abroad. Claude is also an examiner and academic supervisor at the University of Malta and has organised, moderated and participated in a number of conferences and symposiums on various subjects.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Legal and Humanistic (European) Studies – 2005, University of Malta
- Doctor of Laws (LL.D.) – 2008, University of Malta
- Master of Laws (Magister Juris) in European & Comparative Law – 2009, University of Malta
- Handled a major project in the public procurement sector on behalf of local and foreign contractors (from the bidding process to the signature of the concession agreement) and retains a regular ongoing working relationship with the operators of the site in their various day-to-day activities (especially civil and commercial issues)
- Regularly acts as lead counsel for various local and foreign entities in respect of data protection issues (mainly compliance advice, handling of notification formalities (e.g. data breach notifications) as well as legal representation in case of complaints/enforcement actions/legal disputes)
- Regularly acts as lead counsel for a number of prominent artists, performers, film/theatre/music producers, directors and investors in the media and entertainment industry (including recently acting as a production lawyer for a motion picture filmed in Malta)
- Handled the co-ordination of a major anti-piracy campaign in Malta for two of the world’s largest software companies as well as regularly provides the same with advice and legal representation in Malta
- Acted as legal counsel in a team that won an important Maltese Intellectual Property case on behalf of a world-famous manufacturer based on the so called “doctrine of exhaustion of rights” (where the Court awarded the client EUR30,000 in moral damages alone)
- Member of the Malta Chamber of Advocates since 2008
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta (2009)
- Founding member and treasurer of the Maltese Society for Comparative law (MSCL)
Get In Touch
MAMO TCV Advocates
Palazzo Pietro Stiges
103, Strait Street
Valletta, VLT 1436
Stay updated with our latest insights
The EDPB Issues Opinion on the New EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework
Digital Services Act Deadline for Online Platform Providers
Unlock Funding Opportunities for Your SME: EU Renews IP Grant
“Mamo TCV Advocates continues to be widely recognised for its ‘first class‘ contentious anti-counterfeiting work, in which it regularly represents leading global brands from a range of sectors. On the advisory side, the firm assists with a vast number of trade mark and patent registrations; in recent times, these have increasingly included EU as well as domestic filings. Antoine Camilleri and Claude Micallef Grimaud are the key names to note.”The Legal 100 - Intellectual Property (Tier 1)2022
“Mamo TCV Advocates' advice spans all aspects of intellectual property law, but it is particularly notable for IP prosecutions. The team 'knows the counterfeit business in Malta' and has worked on numerous anti-counterfeiting cases for world leading brands in the sportswear, tobacco, fashion and electronics industry. Practice head, Antoine Camilleri is an expert in IP litigation, and an active member of several intellectual property associations. Claude Micallef Grimaud joined the partnership this year.”The Legal 500 - Intellectual Property (Tier 1)2021