This article was written by Dr. Christian Tonna and Dr. Stephanie Abela Medici.
Identity Malta Agency has recently launched the Key Employee Initiative (KEI) offering a fast-tracked procedure for highly specialised non-EU nationals who intend to work in Malta. The KEI enables interested applicants to submit their application from abroad or while in Malta.
The KEI affords successful applicants a joint residence and work permit within five (5) working days from the date of submission of the application.
The initiative targets individuals who hold a managerial or highly-technical post having corresponding qualifications or relevant work experience. Individuals of start-up projects, endorsed by Malta Enterprise, may likewise apply under this Scheme.
The following specific requirements must be satisfied by any eligible applicant:
1. An annual gross salary amounting to at least €30,000 per year;
2. Possess relevant qualifications, warrants, or necessary work experience and provide certified copies thereof;
3. A declaration by the employer stating that the applicant has the necessary credentials to perform the duties being assigned; and
4. A purchase or lease agreement of a property situated in Malta.
Upon approval, successful applicants will be granted a residence permit valid for one (1) year, which may be subsequently renewed for a maximum period of three (3) years, subject to the following support criteria continue to be satisfied, namely:
- a valid definite or indefinite contract; and
- the original annual tax declaration form stamped by the Inland Revenue Department.
KEI applications are processed by Identity Malta and Mamo TCV Advocates, as Authorised Registered Mandatories and Accredited Agents by Identity Malta, who can assist interested applicants throughout the KEI application process.
The information purported is merely indicative and an individual interested in applying under this new programme is encouraged to contact our legal advisors, who are also licensed to act as Authorised Registered Mandatories.
For further information on the Key Employee Initiative, please contact Dr. David Tonna or Dr. Christian Tonna
This document does not purport to give legal, financial or tax advice. Should you require further information or legal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Christian Tonna and Dr. Stephanie Abela Medici.