Christine Calleja is a Partner at Mamo TCV Advocates and heads the firm’s Employment and Industrial Relations department.
Christine graduated Doctor of Laws from the University of Malta in 2011, after which she obtained a Masters in European and Comparative Law, also from the University of Malta, in 2012. Both her theses focused on employment law; the doctoral thesis was titled ‘Furthering the Case for Constructive Dismissal in Malta’ and her Masters thesis focused on the scope of application of the Acquired Rights Directive.
She joined the firm as a trainee in 2009, became an associate when she was called to the Bar in 2011 and was promoted to the post of Senior Associate in 2017.
Christine’s main areas of practice are employment law and insurance litigation.
Insofar as employment law is concerned, she regularly assists clients in all matters relating to human resources. She also represents clients, both employers and employees, in front of the Industrial Tribunal and courts in relation to these matters and has assisted clients in trade disputes and in the negotiation of collective agreements. She also delivers seminars and lectures for practitioners in the field on a regular basis and is also one of the founding members of the Maltese Employment Lawyers Association.
Her other special area of focus is insurance law, in particular insurance claims litigation, where she regularly assists and represents a number insurance companies in proceedings brought by or against them.
- Bachelor of Laws with European Studies (2008, University of Malta)
- Doctor of Laws (2011, University of Malta)
- Master of Laws in European and Comparative Law (LL.M.) (2012, University of Malta)
- Assisted a major insurance company in negotiations with a trade union to draft and conclude its collective agreement
- Advised and assisted various clients in relation to employment-related transactions such as collective redundancies and transfers of business
- Regularly forms part of a team to carry out due diligence exercises as regards employment related matters
- Acted as legal counsel before the Court of Appeal in a team that won an important Maltese case relating to the fiduciary duties of employees
- Retained by insurance companies as counsel in relation to insurance claims
- Regularly appointed as an arbiter in motor accident private arbitrations
- Lecturer in employment law
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta (2011)
- Malta Employment Lawyers Association
Get In Touch
MAMO TCV Advocates
Palazzo Pietro Stiges
103, Strait Street
Valletta, VLT 1436