Luigi Farrugia is a junior associate in the Investment Services and Funds, as well as in the Banking and Finance departments of the firm.
Through a hands on legal traineeship at Simon Tortell & Associates, Luigi initially acquired experience in the sector of litigation and alternative dispute resolution, where he was involved in numerous civil and commercial law related briefs. In June 2015 he then moved to the Investment Services and Funds department of the firm, where his primary focus shifted onto the regulatory implications arising in the field of investment services law.
Luigi has also been forming part of the Banking and Finance department of the firm since June 2016 and specifically deals with matters relating to conveyancing, examination of title to property and registration of rights, and other ancillary matters.
- Bachelor of Laws with European Studies (2013, University of Malta)
- Diploma Notary Public (2014, University of Malta)
- Doctor of Laws (2016, University of Malta)
- Counsel to numerous local and internationally recognised banks and investment services providers in connection with the applicability or otherwise of local investment services regulatory implications, also in the context of Brexit.
- Counsel to reputable international groups of companies in connection with the requirement or otherwise to notify the Malta Financial Services Authority of a transfer in the ultimate beneficial ownership of locally regulated entities involved in the financial services sector.
- Counsel to a large multi-jurisdictional investment services provider in proceedings before local and regional authorities.
- Counsel for the conversion of collective investment schemes’ licences from alternative investment funds to professional investor funds and vice-versa.
- Counsel for the first registration in Malta of a Limited Partnership with Variable Share Capital, which was also the first Limited Partnership in Malta to be recognised as a private collective investment scheme.
Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta (2017)
Corporate and Commercial
Immigration and Citizenship
Investment Services and Funds
T: (+356) 2540 3000
Palazzo Pietro Stiges
103, Strait Street